FREE INDYCAR Test Session on Friday, Aug. 17
INDYCAR race teams will get their first opportunity to test the new track layout in Sonoma at a test session on Friday, Aug. 17. Fans will be admitted FREE.
The one-day test will run from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and will allow drivers to test the modified configuration, which features changes to Turns 7, 9 and 11. The modifications are designed to enhance passing. The test will also allow drivers to test the series’ new racecar, which features a new body, new engine and new chassis for 2012, among other enhancements. The open test falls just one week prior to the GoPro Indy® Grand Prix of Sonoma race weekend, Aug. 24-26.
Twenty drivers from 12 teams are currently scheduled to attend the test, including:
- Ryan Briscoe, Helio Castroneves, Will Power (Team Penske)
- Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon (Target Chip Ganassi Racing)
- Charlie Kimball and Graham Rahal (Chip Ganassi Racing)
- Marco Andretti, James Hinchcliffe, Ryan Hunter-Reay and Sebastian Saavedra (Andretti Autosport)
- Sebastien Bourdais and Katherine Legge (Dragon Racing)
- Ed Carpenter (Ed Carpenter Racing)
- JR Hildebrand (Panther Racing)
- Oriol Servia (Panther/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing)
- Takuma Sato (Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing)
- Josef Newgarden (Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing)
- Simon Pagenaud (Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports)
- Mike Conway (A.J. Foyt Racing)
Race fans are invited to watch the test session for FREE and enjoy the open paddock. There will be pit tours and ticket specials for the upcoming race weekend, as well as a press conference with the drivers during the lunch break. The Raceway Café will also be open from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. for breakfast and lunch.
Can't make it to the test? You can tune in to the lunch-time press conference via UStream. Just go to www.ustream.tv/channel/racesonoma. Simply click on the link and click “Check-in & Chat” to join the live feed beginning at noon (PST).
The raceway will feature a number of ticket packages at the test session, highlighted by the Brasil IT All Access package, which includes a reserved Sunday ticket, Garage/Pre-Race Pass and race-day Q&A with Tony Kanaan and Rubens Barichello for $99.
For more information, visit racesonoma.com/indycar or call 800-870-RACE (7223).
GoPro Indy® Grand Prix of Sonoma Weekend
WHAT: Big O Tires Racing Season Presents: GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma
WHEN: Aug. 24-26
CIRCUIT: 2.31-mile, 12-turn road course
2011 WINNER: Will Power (Team Penske)
NOTABLE: The weekend will include Brasil IT+ Pole Day on Saturday, Aug. 25, as well as the Cadillac Sonoma World Challenge and Formula Car Challenge.
TICKETS: $10-$65 single day/$65-$85 weekend; parking is FREE and kids 12 and under are FREE (Friday and Saturday). Garage passes are available for purchase.
INFORMATION: 800-870-RACE (7223), www.racesonoma.com/indy, ticketmaster.com